Thursday, July 22, 2010

An Interview with Jody Zimmer

Jody Zimmer is our intern from Medford, OR. He recently completed his Associates in Architectural Technology at Brigham Young University in Idaho. This fall he is transferring to Portland State University in Portland, Oregon to finish his undergrad degree in architecture. We sat down with Jody to have a final interview with him and see how his experience was at Michael R. McLeod Architects.


Q: This is your last day at Michael R. McLeod Architect. How have you liked working in an architecture office?

A: This has been my first internship and first real world experience in the profession. I have really enjoyed seeing the inner workings of a real architectural office. Before this experience I only knew the life of a student working in a college architecture studio. I have learned a lot, and I know it will benefit me greatly as I finish up my undergrad degree.

Q: Your leaving us here on the East Coast to go back to the Pacific Northwest to finish your undergrad degree in architecture. Has your experience helped your interest in the profession?

A: It really has. I remember feeling extremely overwhelmed with this profession. But after participating in this internship I feel a lot more confident about being a part of the architecture community. I will admit it's still overwhelming but I think that's just one of the characteristics in the field of architecture.

Q: How has your time here measured up to your expectations?

A: I've been fortunate to have a longer internship than most students. I actually started my internship towards the end of January and was able to work through the summer, which means I've been able to work here for the past six months. Most student internships only last three months. So really this experience has exceeded my expectations. I've learned a lot in the past six months; I couldn't ask for anything more.

Q: What did you like most about working here?

A: I loved the work environment. I felt comfortable here the first day I started. The staff here at the office is so nice and willing to help you with any questions you might have. And you couldn't ask for a better boss. I respect Mike McLeod so much. He's a hard worker, a good friend, and a great example to me.

Q: What was your favorite part about spending most of 2010 in North Carolina?

A: The weather! I was already swimming in the ocean by early April while my family was still getting snow back in Oregon and Idaho. I know I have been known to say that I enjoy the humidity here, but I recently changed my mind since the AC went out in my car. There is nothing worse than a broken AC in the south.

Q: You did a lot of things while you were here. What are some of your most memorable or favorite things you did?

A: A lot of my friends and family back home think that all I do is play back here. And for the most part they're right. I've done so much while I've been back here, but if I had to pick my top three I woulds say: visiting Washington DC for the first time, touring the Biltmore Estate, and Skydiving! A good mix of architecture and little bit of thrill!

Jody standing in front of the White House in
Washington DC
















Jody standing in front of the Biltmore Estate in
Asheville, North Carolina
















Jody skydiving from 13,500 feet in
Raeford, North Carolina
















Q: Is there anything you didn't get to do while you were here?

A: There is so much to see and do here. I have to keep telling myself that it would be impossible to do everything. I'm ok with that; it gives me a reason to keep coming back. I wanted to see the sea turtles hatch out on Topsail Island, but I'm leaving a few weeks before they start to hatch. And I still haven't seen the Outer Banks. But like I said, it just gives me a reason to come back.

Q: Its a long drive across the country. Will you be making any stops and what will you see or do? Are you excited about anything in particular.

A: My route seems to change every couple of days. Originally I had planned to take a few weeks and see as much as I could on the way home, but since the AC in my car is out of commission I decided to save that route for another time. At this point my plans are to stop in Chicago and stay with one of my brothers and spend some time wandering around downtown. Next stop is Lincoln, Nebraska. I don't anticipate too much excitement there. I'm just planning on getting some rest before meeting up with more family in Idaho. I have to admit, I'm mostly excited for the end of the trip when I get out of the car and realize I won't have to make that trip again for awhile!

Q: Is there anything you will miss about North Carolina or the east coast?

A: Everything! Except for maybe the bugs. There is so much history and great architecture back here. Oh, and the beach! How could I forget about the beach? I have become quite the seasoned beach-bum. But I think mostly I will miss this job and those I worked with. I consider everyone in this office great friends.


Q: Are you excited to go home?

A: I'm excited to see family, especially my niece and nephews. I miss them a lot. We have a really close family and we like to spend as much time together as possible. Hopefully the kids will still remember their Uncle Jody.

Jody (far right) with his parents, three brothers,
and their wives












Jody and one of his nephews

















Portland, Oregon skyline


I'm also excited to start a new adventure. I've never lived in a major metropolitan area before. Portland State University is located in the heart of downtown Portland, Oregon. It's going to be exciting, and I'll admit, maybe even a little scary. But I can handle scary, I'm a skydiver, remember?

Q: Will you be back to visit anytime soon?

A: I'm always thinking of ways to get back here. Give me an excuse to visit and I'll be back. But maybe next time I'll just fly. It really is a LONG drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails